Well, it's been an eventful week. Unfortunately not in a positive way.
On Monday night I came down with a terrible stomach flu. By Tuesday morning I realized I needed to go to the hospital to keep from getting dangerously dehydrated or running into a risky situation of diabetic ketoacidosis. Thankfully 7am is a good time to show up in the Victoria Hospital ER because we didn't have to wait in the waiting room at all! Long story short - they rehydrated me, gave me an IV antinauseant, and enough of a sugar drip that I could take a bit of insulin. The doctor ran a bunch of tests and came to the conclusion that it was most likely just a virus. He said that the baby would be fine and that, since I came in to get rehydrated, there was no danger to Bud. Whew!!
Certain unpleasant aspects of the flu lasted for another day and a half or so (I won't elaborate...), but I was able to keep moderately hydrated even though I was in a lot of discomfort.
Almost exactly 48 hours after it started, the worst was over, but I have still had some lasting effects - most notably, my digestion seems to be extremely slow now, which is causing some issues with my bloodsugars. Since I'm not absorbing sugars/carbohydrates very quickly, my insulin needs are much lower and on a totally different timeline than usual. I had a very scary low bloodsugar on Wednesday as a result. Today I'm finally seeing some improvement, so I'm cautiously optimistic, but it's been a long, rough ride. I now weigh less than I did before I was pregnant, but I should be able to make that up pretty quickly once I can eat normally again, as I do have a definite "roundness" to my belly now, even though my stomach is virtually empty. :)
On to more pleasant things....I got my fetal development update for 13 weeks from www.babycenter.ca today. It was pretty short this week and talked mostly about me (less about Bud). Here's the Bud-related highlights:
- Bud is nearly 3" / 7-8cm long and weighs nearly an ounce / 23 grams (about 1/2 a banana)
- Bud's unique fingerprints are already in place.
This coming week is my first appointment with my OBGYN, so look for some interesting updates in my next post!
Friday, November 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Glad to hear you're feeling better!
ReplyDeleteThat's so cool to hear about Bud. Sorry you have been so ill. Glad you are doing better. Lots of hugs.
ReplyDeleteLove ya !!!
Cin